10.15.2007

Late noights, sir



More and more. Now website business is being replaced by comic business. I realized I was being a chump to hold out for nice paper, since sensibly if I do get a grant, I still can't afford to print color anyway, and it just makes my strokes look crummy (see previous post). So. I'm starting over for maybe the eighth time since I wrote this story on a cold February night in Meatland after Your Parents practice. Its a moral story, about two people trying to do the right thing and maybe over doing it. And there's a kidnapping, a planned and foiled drowning, and a few broken bones. I'm really jazzed on it though. As I've explained to a few of you friends and fam that in the past ten years of comic-making (Jesus) this is the first time I've written a script. And this is the first time its taken me more than a few hours at a time from start to finish. In this case its been eight months and one grant submission deadline missed. The next is January. Here's hoping.

This was a good weekend. Yesterday we went to a really good opening at Okay Mountain. Good fabric sculptures and video. Talked to some people and for the first time got excited for the art scene here. I shouldn't base things off first experiences, I guess, since that bit ass. We then saw the new movie abotu Joy Division, Control, which was pretty good. I felt it could've used a littl emore time to show Ian Curtis' descent. It sort of was like "I'm kind of sad, I guess. Oh, there's a rope." Then today we went to a video show but unfortunately had to leave before it started. We met some chick from Worcester who was completely rad and had some free beers and cupcakes. We had to leave early because we went to see the new Michael Cera movie Juno, which was excellent. A little long winded and I felt too smart and esoteric for its own good at times, but overall pretty perfect with several genuine moments.

So I'm excited for art here and I hope we stick around for a little while. I should just get some dumb job to tide me over. Why haven't I done that? I don't know. Tomorrow I'm going to apply at a few places and call or email people I'd like to have shows here. We know how to advertise and could probably get an ad or at least a write up in The Onion, which acts like a Phoenix here. I feel Fionn would do well here. And Jack. And Urban Monsters.

Todd Barry, Eugene Murman, and Brad Neely(possibly) are lined up for having a show here in the spring, and I just need to email pictures to Mark Mothersbaugh's assistant to get that rolling. Time's should be good.

Man Man saturday. Friends stopping by for Halloween with Quintron. And a few friends are coming down from California for Thanksgiving. We need to find a table. Smiles all around.

No comments: