9.02.2007

The End of Day 2

So rather than post last night as I had planned, I just got drunk with Alan at his parents' house in Brooklyn.  We went to this place around the corner which Alan said absolutely anything could be going.  We suggested Squid Rodeo? and he said it was a possibility.  That or five year olds in a hardcore band or spoken word.  However, when we went there was nothing happening.  There were a few people hanging out outside but no one inside and it was silent.  We had beers and talked to the chick werking there then played Metal Slug on an outdoor arcade machine and couldn't beat the first level.  

When we got back to Alan's house we watched the new instalments to R Kelly's Trapped in the Closet saga while Alan cooked me a steak and we drank Porkslap, the foulest.  

Before all this Caitlin and I had a fun night in Salem on Friday in which many heads did roll through, some stars including Ryan Piaxao and Clay who owns guns.  Got to see Jack and Matt and Cassy and Tyler and JD and the Dames.  

The next day found us scrambling to finish off packing the car after a 430 am farewell to Annie.  I forgot a few things, like my four rolls of medium format film, one of which I had planned on wasting during the trip.  JD and Steve showed up at zero hour to pleasantly wish me off, then I had one last burrito at Anna's with Lawrence, Keanne, and Corey, which was perfect.

When we got to the car there was a highway, or in this case parking lot, diaper waiting for us behing the reart tire.  I guess we rolled over it and onto the Pike where we saw a car moments away from bursting into flame.  I wish that were the first time I'd seen a car on fire.

From there we made our way to Hartford and the Old State House which made me think I'd made a mistake in coming to until we found the curio room on the second floor.  Two headed cow and pig were waiting with three horned goat and petrified skate was just hanging out with some friends.  There was a six foot narwhal horn in a very tall belljar and a very eager fox's head.


Me and the two-faced cow.  Never could trust him. 

Gay City was kind of a let down.  Less of a ghost town and more of a state park there was only remains of an old mill, which was neat to look at, and I saw maybe one ruined foundation.  Caitlin caught a frog.


These things happen in Gay City.


Be seeing you


We went some places

Then we got to New York and remembered yet again why I can wait to move there.  In the morning we spent an hour trying to find this bagel place Alan told us about, gave up, and had to find gas. Paid 9 dollars to leave the city and headed to Philly.  We got there and walked around and realised that we were happy that we weren't moving there either.  Philly is like if the worst people from RISD and JP had a baby and it fell down some stairs.  All it makes me think about is Keith Haring and the early nineties and art that tries to pull the community together, like making a person out of traffic cones and milk crates.  But we got to Mutter Museum after spending another hour looking for a place to eat and not finding one.

We left and did not persue Centralia as it was getting late and there was must driving to do.  Caity did most of it, about 250 miles, while I read Factotum by Bukowski.  I like it.  There's a few memorable and filthy lines.  Went through some long horrifying tunnels and saw some strange things at pit stops.

I took over driving at eleven and continued till 130 when we found this Rodeside Inn, with an oddly friendly innkeeper.  And here we are.  We're about 20 miles away from Columbus and only have two goals for tomorrow, one ghost town in Indiana and then getting to Caitlin's cousin's house in St Louis.  Time for bed.  Smooch.
 
 

No comments: